Translate

Tuesday 1 March 2016

Carnet de Passage, visas and Insurance - Strategy for Bad Borders in West Africa


This contain information from end of 2015 and begin 2016 and covers - Morrocco, Maurtuanin, Senegal - Gambia - Guinea - Mali - Ivory Coast and back
prices are for Motorcycle Yamaha XT600 2002 year


Borders crossing

Duans - Customs - Carnet de Passage - Pasavant 

Carnet de Passage - I didn't buy Carnet - all this countries will accept temporary import document such as ''pasavant" or similar name for the same thing. this is always to deal with "DUANS'' custom service and each border, it is not recommended to use any mediators-transiters as they will take more money of you and same speed of dealing with the border documents

This is what I learned:

1) Prices are not set - they have some official document but it wouldn't be possible or difficult to find how much you need to pay - usually, you will gain experience after one or two bad crossings. You can always make price down when you say you only need transit - I have overstayed in maurtaina and senegal and nobody asked my about it

2)Time is your weapon - take time when crossing borders - NO RUSH

3) Try Early Morning to cross before 12.00 it is not guaranteed but you will have more energy and humor to deal with Official Corrupted Criminals at borders

4) don't listen un-uniformed people - no uniform no talk

5) always talk politely and with humble attitude (I argued at Gambia border once and I was refused enter - I did enter second time latter)

6) If you not agree with paying ask them what is this for

7) Say ''I didn't pay last time'' - it works - but you need to have some expirence or cross some border few time as I did. This not for Pasavant but for extra charges they love to apply for their service,

8) Borders are closed for the night

9) most head of Duans are like "king in the castle" you will go to special room and this is like visiting Pope in Rome

Prices :
Morocco: free no money for pasavant

Mauritania: officially was equivalent of 10e they take 65e - first time, waiting time 22h at the border - second time I paid (from senegal side) 15 e for 5 days pasavant - 3 hours second time (mostly senegal side)

Senegal: - it is all depends.  I Paid different money(several crossing)  from 7e to around 22 e for Pasavant - they will only issue 10 day. Don't worry to much for overstaying - you maybe lucky as I was my motorbike was there 6 months when I crashed and went for operation and at gambia border nobody ask me for showing pasaavant - the other option is to extend in Duans office  for example head of Duans are in Dakar on the place d'impedance dakar

Gambia: - 10 days pasavant around 7e
Guinea: (Conakry) 15e for 30days pasavant
Mali: - no pasavant (from guinea side)
Ivory Coast:  45e for 30 days - this was jus my tactical mistake I could paid less! ahh



Visas 
I am polish passport just now so pleas check if this information will match your visa criteria 

Visas you usually can get visas in neighboring country. Strategy is to check in your country if this is possible before you going travel. If not don't worry make plan, just to reduce disappointment on th way there. All my visas I bought on the way. Usually Consulate and Ambassad are in Capital cities, So when you are in for example Dakar or Bamako Try get as many visas as possible.
Be careful for entry date and valid date this is sometimes confusing even for border police and this is not the same meaning.
You need passport type photographs - I made my self on tripod before I go travel and cheep print in the supermarket Foto shop.  Take 20-30 copies as this will be handy. you usually need one max two per visa application
Waiting time is depends in West africa max 5 days so make plan ahead

Prices and where I got visas:

Morrocco  No Visa - max stay 90 days - for polish passport holders

Mauritania - first time price was around 60e and I got it from Rabat - Morrocco same day service - second time on the way back I got it in Mali - Bamako 120 euro - one entry 30 days visa same day saervice

Senegal No Visa now - it was 60e first time and got it at Rosso Border

Gambia - No visa for European Union Passport Holder- how ever first time Border police try get some money of me and I argued about it - second time I got stamp visitor entry 7 day valid - free

Guinea Conakry - from ambassad in Dakar - 3 days waiting  - 60 euro - 1 entry - 30 days.

Ivory Cast - from ambassad in Dakar it cost around 45e 5 days waiting

Mali - from ambassad in Dakar cost 90 days - 2 entry - 3days waiting



Insurance 

Morocco - European insurance with Green Card - first time i didn't have green card - second on the way back I didn't have insurance at all

Mauritania - separate insurance cost around 30e first time and  second time I didn't have any insurance

All the rest countries using Brown Card type Insurance and you can get this in Senegal. Mine cost 30e for 90 days for all countries I visited


I hope this was helpfull for you








No comments:

Post a Comment